Saturday 1 April 2017

[E-MAG: PRODUCT REVIEW] Nongshim Zha Wang Instant Jjajangmyeon Noodles


Jjajangmyeon (noodles in black bean sauce) is a very popular dish in Korea. Thick noodles are accompanied by chanjang (salty black soy bean paste) and often served with pork and vegetables. I had never tried Jjangjangmyeon before, and I was really excited to try these instant noodles out. After seeing so many people in Korean dramas and television programmes tucking into the dish with gusto and delight, I was sold!


I bought a 4 pack of the instant noodles which state that they are made in Korea. This cost me about £10 (including shipping) on Amazon. At roughly £2.50 a pack, this is not the cheapest way. I wager you could get them cheaper in local Asian markets and supermarkets than ordering online (you won’t have to pay the shipping cost!)

Each pack noodles contain 3 smaller packets: vegetable flakes, vegetable oil and sauce mix (powder). The cooking process of these instant noodles is quite standard, and any experienced instant noodle eater will be familiar with it:

1. Add the noodles to some boiling water, along with the vegetable flakes.

2. Give it about 3 minutes to cook. As the noodles soften, give them a mix.

3. Drain most of the water, leaving a few tablespoons behind in the saucepan.

4. Add the sauce powder and the oil straight away and stir well until the noodles are completely covered in sauce.

5. Serve right away!









I was a little worried when I poured the contents of the sauce mix into the pan and was greeted by a huge mound of dry powder. But of course, after mixing it thoroughly, the water left behind dissolved all the powder into that typical, dark Jjajangmyeon sauce.

The quality of this dish was very good, the noodles stayed firm, and the sauce imparted a lovely savoury flavour. The vegetable flakes left a little to be desired though. The noodles are quite thick, which I really like. If you usually like thinner noodles, this product is not probably for you.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what fresh Jjajangmyeon tastes like, but I suppose it is at least a little better than the instant version. Having said this though, this version is still pretty delicious, and would definitely be improved with the addition of extra vegetables and/or meat of your choice.


I think these noodles would be the perfect dish to have on a night in with friends! If you would like to give them a go, I bought them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment